While we were out & about checking out The Whippet one afternoon, I noticed The Argentinean across the road & while the name kinda rang a bell, I couldn’t quite place it. As soon as we entered I suddenly remembered having read about it somewhere along the line – they’re known for the best croissants in Jozi.
Now I absolutely love croissants & I totally blame them for the current state of my thighs. A good, light, buttery, melt-in-your mouth croissant (if it’s just out of the oven its a major bonus!) is completely irresistible no matter the time of day or night & I always need some coffee/tea to wash it down.
The decor theme is Argentinean football inspired so there’s something to keep the boys entertained too!
- I love how quaint & off the beaten track The Argentinean is – I could so possibly have missed them, but so glad I didn’t
- The croissants are insanely delicious. They’re freshly baked & miles from the retail mass produced stuff we’re so often served up. I can’t stress this enough. Please go & have one & then write me!
Sam the baker – love him!
The service was warm and very personable. Sam (the baker himself!) came over to chat to us & told us how he opens the bakery at 5am to start baking in the mornings – this guy takes huge pride in his work & it showed through & through!
- The Argentinean is amazing value – 2 croissants & 2 coffees came to just over R5o – beyond worth it!
- They serve Lavazza (in mugs) which usually is fine for me but if you’re a coffee snob (which I am not!) I suggest you get a cup across the road at The Whippet instead.
If I ran the place
- I’d have an option where the croissants could be ordered warm (not microwaved though)
- I’d serve butter, cheese & jams on the side especially with plain croissants (maybe there was & I should have just asked?)
Need to know
- They’re open 7 days a week from 6:30am!
Cnr 4th Ave and 7th Street, Linden
011 888 97 59