I’m always very excited to find new food spots & doubly so when they’re in my neighbourhood (Jozi CBD), so imagine my excitement when I stumbled across Gold Mine Cafe right in our street! They opened in September this year & we had noticed the renovations & bright lights these last few weeks but it was finally time to check it out.
Everything from the decor to the staff uniforms are on theme
- That it’s in town, my ‘hood & walking distance from our apartment!
There’s a good variety on offer & its all well priced.
If you’re in a hurry there are also ready-made meals available to grab on the go.
- The business hours – they’re open till 10pm 7 days a week!
- The decor & the underground/mining theme, really different.
- The food is very affordable (should have sounded my alarm bells!)
- Unfortunately, the food. The Hawaiian chicken burger I ordered was not good. It was a filleted breast, but there wasn’t much of it and there was something amiss with the sauce on the burger too.
- The chips tasted like the oil had been recycled one too many times.
If I ran the place
- I’d up the quality of food significantly. If the price needs to go up with that, that’s ok.
Need to know
- Secure parking is available if the restaurant is to be used for year-end functions or events.
We left after settling the measly bill of around R52 (1 shared burger & chips + 2 sodas) and while it was great value, my hubby put it well when he said we’d have gotten more satisfaction from a McDonald’s meal for the same money.
I was so excited to stumble on Gold Mine Cafe & wish I had a better story to tell of my experience. That said, it could be a bit harsh to judge them off just one meal, so maybe I’ll be back for another try although it won’t be anytime soon
Gold Mine Cafe
58 Anderson Street, Marshalltown
Johannesburg, South Africa
+27 (0) 11 689 1000