I’ve been hair and skin involved my entire life. I‘m always looking for new info and keeping an open mind to trying new ideas and products. As such I’m currently subscribed to 15+ magazines and buy at least a further 5/6 titles monthly to keep a abreast of whats happening. Some of these magazines are actually aimed at the professionals working in the hair & skincare industry – yup, that’s how far my addiction’s evolved.
For years now though I’ve been bored with many of these mags and have been trying to wean myself off them feeling that I’m not really learning anything new per se. I was in *this* frame of mind when came across Good Hair Diaries (GHD) on twitter quite by chance and reading through her timeline (her name is Kavuli by the way), I was rather impressed with the advice being dispensed. One of these tweets offered a personal consultation service and going through my own hair journey, I felt like I definitely could do with a hand.
So on a recent trip to Cape Town I booked a session and she conveniently came by my hotel. When I’d initially booked the session via email, Kavuli asked what my hair concerns were and I laid them out.
My hair goals:
- Defined curls
- Hair growth
- Proper hair ongoing regimen
Kavuli was really warm, open and unintimidating and she knows a lot! It felt like having a chat with friend. She arrived with a suitcase of products and I’d brought some of my own to show her what I was using and so we started by discussing what my day-to-day regimen was currently.
It was good to know I was already on the right track with a few things:
- Co washing is definitely a good idea to keep hair moisturised
- Using a wide toothed comb to detangle hair while its soaked with conditioner
- Using natural oils is very good – my favourite is virgin coconut oil
- Watch out for bad ingredients: mineral oil, sulphate, paraffin, petroleum
- There’s no such thing as white and black hair care products, there are only products that work for you!
My curls at 7 months since going natural (on the day I met Kavuli). Im getting there 🙂
Here are some of my key take-outs from the session:
- If like me you’re after gorgeous, long curls forget about the curls for a bit and focus on the health of your hair and scalp. Curls and length will follow.
- Healthy hair starts and ends with moisture (my hair can’t seem to get enough of it!) and the LOC method is a good tried and tested way to seal in moisture.
- I was using a clarifying shampoo once a week, which was way too much! Monthly is good.
- For daily styling to get good curls, hair should be as wet as possible when applying products (holding creams etc.)
- For daily styling, to create curls the twist out method is also great to set hair at night as an alternative to the “wet” styling method.
- To preserve curls, don’t towel dry hair – use an old t shirt or a hair wrap instead.
What I really liked was Kavuli’s passion – this isn’t a something she does on the side & it’s easy to see she’s very passionate about hair – all kinds of hair, whether you’re rocking a weave, braids or going natural – she can handle it all. Also, I love her authenticity. She isn’t contracted to any of the brands so she doesn’t punt any of them but rather gives advice widely on what she believes to be good products. The advice is easy to understand and very practical which was really important to me as I often find experts tend to “talk over people” to make themselves appear knowledgeable.
Kavuli’s approach is tailored for each person and within 48 hrs of after consultation, she sends each client a “Post Consultation Document” (I love the professionalism!) detailing what was discussed, your hair goals, what your regimen should be going forward and some tips and tricks – this has been a great reference point for me as we chatted so much in the session, I had forgotten some of the detail 🙂
For R150 (for September and October only) this session was invaluable and I’d highly recommend it! There’s even a discounted group rate available and in addition to consulting, Kavuli also offers various services such as trimming or showing you how to care for your hair yourself by doing a tutorial with you on the twist out method, flat ironing, LOC method etc., whatever your needs are – all in the privacy of your own home!
Be kind to your hair!
Good Hair Diaries
Mobile: 074 797 3848