I consider myself doubly blessed to have been able to stay at The Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa twice in my lifetime. So on this last visit earlier this month, I knew it was going to be good, but just how good surprised me all over again.
We’d been to the Twelve Apostles (or 12A as she’s affectionately known) plenty before for dinners or drinks and high tea (any excuse will do!). In fact we got engaged there so it really is a very special place for us. My excitement mounted as soon as we booked and got sent the “guest preference form” – yup, you get to pre select the exact type of pillows, bed and other items you want in your room. There are few words that can do justice to this elegant boutique hotel, so I’ll stop and you can see for yourself…
- The view!
- The view!
- The view!
I am not exaggerating have you seen this view? On the one hand there’s the backdrop of a line of majestic mountains and a nature reserve – Table Mountain National Park (and they have managed to respect and maintain the integrity of the surrounds beautifully), while in front of you, you have a view of the Atlantic ocean. Here’s a promise – you have not seen a sunset like this before. Have your drinks at the Leopard Lounge’s balcony and you may well see dolphins or whales playing around – just magnificent!
- The old school charm of the hotel – no corners have been cut. Anywhere. In fact it feels like they make a point of going the extra mile in everything they do. Think super-duper luxurious.
- The rooms are individually themed and decorated – I love the fabric wall paper we had in our room and also that they extended that same print to the linen – bold but it worked!
- The bathroom had a blue antibacterial light – amazing, I’d never seen anything like it – definitely fed my OCD tendencies, I need this in my house!
- There’s an impeccable sense of service from all the (very polished) staff we interacted with, be it a porter or hotel manager. If you can think it, they will do it.
- The small touches for example I ordered a hot breakfast that wasn’t on the standard menu and they had no problem making it for me.
- That I had to go back to Jozi and couldn’t stay another night. Or two.
The spa definitely tops my to-do list for our next visit. We had a tour and it looks amazing since the recent revamp (I thought it looked amazing before the revamp too though!).
If I ran the place
- I wouldn’t be able to get much work done being constantly in awe of that view!
Need to know
- The main restaurant, Azure fills up pretty quickly and is popular amongst locals too – be sure to book in advance.
We didn’t leave the hotel’s premises once from check-in to check-out. In fact so much did we want to hang on to our stay that we requested a late check-out too! The hotel has the best of any facilities you can imagine – one of my favourites being a private 16-seater in-house cinema. And they’ll happily arrange popcorn and milkshakes to go with that too!
The Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa is indescribable bliss. Here’s hoping I get lucky enough for a third stay!
Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town, 8005
021 437 9000